Thursday, December 20, 2007

Baby Steps

It's funny how you can be going sooooooo strong, and then splat! Well, I guess that's what's kinda happened to me lately. I swear it happens every time I go to Chicago...although it would probably happen if I ever went out of town anywhere else too. The routine is just broken up.

Well, here's where I'm at...eating has been pretty bad, although it's been worse. Workouts have been scarce, although I went to the gym twice this week. I actually had one more week of bootcamp left, but I avoided it this week. Instead, I chose to do easy elliptical workouts. The elliptical is not going to give me the body that I want, but I figure it's a good start back.

Tonight, I did 35 minutes on the elliptical, and then I ran 1 mile on the treadmill. It was a little difficult, but I did manage to stay above 6.0 mph...and this was after doing HIIT on the elliptical. I don't know if I've mentioned my ankle pain that started shortly after the 5k. It definitely changed what I've been doing at the gym. I just don't want to permanently injure anything. Every time I run for any distance, the pain returns. This is why I just went 1 mile tonight. It's a good start anyways. Maybe I'll begin to increase that by little bits here and there.

So, that's my status. I intend to start bootcamp back up in late January (after my bonus). In the meantime, I need to just do what I know. Cardio will probably be a focus, but I need to come up with a plan for the rest so that I don't lose too much tone.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Sounds like we are dealing with some of the same things. Baby steps is right...thats all we can do to get back into our groove.

Have you gone to get your ankle checked out?

Kristen said...

No - I was too afraid of what he might say :)

Rebecca said...

Doesn't sound like you've gone completely splat. ;) That's a good thing. The holidays are tough, and I think it's even tougher when there's not an immediate pressing goal to help you avoid the temptations that present themselves. I remember hearing a long time ago that if you have to choose between weights or cardio due to time, pick weights - your body keeps burning longer after a weight workout than a cardio workout, plus if you're really concerned about 'tone' weights should take priority. You can put together a full-body weight routine pretty easily - 4 exercises can cover pretty much everything in a short amount of time if you lift heavy enough weight. Good luck!

Kristen said...

Rebecca, you're so right on all accounts. Last year, I had solid goals for Christmas and New Years, and I didn't seem to have any self-control issues. This year, I'm just kind of coasting through.

Do you have any suggestions on those 4 exercises?