Monday, February 25, 2008

12 Weeks

Yeah...it's that time of year again. Just about 12 weeks left until DEMF. Time to get serious. I am pretty sure that I weigh just about the same now as when demf came last year. It sounds kind of depressing that I haven't really lost any weight, but I think that my body is completely different now. I guess I'm not really in much smaller clothes, but I look a ton better in them. I did have a while where I dipped down in weight a little, but I honestly think that I didn't look great - and I know I didn't feel great (mentally). It's hard to explain, and I don't feel like going into it tonight anyways. The bottom line is that I am coming to terms with the fact that I just don't really need to lose much more weight - if any at all. I think I still look pretty good even if I don't lose another pound. The problem is my middle section when I'm not eating right.

Anyways...it was just about a year ago that I decided to get back to the gym (beginning of April 2007). How cool is that - I've been steadily working out for almost a year. Plus, I had worked out for half a year the year before. Never in my life had I stuck with exercise for more than a month or so. This is different. I don't always love working out, but it is a part of my life now. I haven't gone as much as I'd have liked for the past couple of months, but I've been doing much better lately...and I think it's only going to get better with Spring around the corner.

My eating keeps getting better, but I've been drinking a little more lately...just on weekends. I should cut back though. It's not really worth all the calories.

I've been going to the gym regularly for the past week. Bootcamp on Thursday and tonight. HIIT on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I actually did some running on Friday and Sunday - with no pain. I've been using the treadmill that seems to have a little more cushioning. Plus, I've been trying to stay 6.5 mph or less. I think I strike down too hard when I go higher than that. This is usually fine, but I don't want to damage the ankle again. I'm going to keep slowly increasing my mileage to get back into it. The good news is that I haven't suffered too much cardiovascularly. It should only take a few weeks to get back to where I was. 5k time.

My strategy right now is to go to the gym almost daily - even if it's just to do 20 minutes of HIIT. Bootcamp days are 1 hour (MWTh). I am getting a bike, and I will be using it when it gets a little nicer around here. I will also be doing some outdoor running very soon. How exciting...I can't wait.

5 comments:

Geoff said...

Good work. Consistency in the gym and in the kitchen are the keys. You've already shown that you can do it, so keep doing what you're doing. A year and a half in the game is no joke. I hope I can claim the same myself.

Rob Tucker said...

Hard to believe that DEMF 2008 is right around the corner. It feels like it was just yesterday that you were posting pictures from DEMF 2007.

Rebecca said...

It's funny - it must have been this time last year that I first looked at your blog, cuz I was like 'what the hell is DEMF'?! So, a year has come & gone - it sounds like you're better.

It seems like you go back & forth - sometimes you have more weight you want to lose and sometimes not. So, what exactly are your goals right now? Just wondering...

Kristen said...

Rebecca, I would say I was pretty much happy with where I was, even though there is always room for improvement. The problem is that I put on quite a few pounds that I want to take back off to get back to where I felt good.

Rebecca said...

Totally in the same boat with you. Re-losing weight is a demoralizing experience, but it is what it is, right?