Friday, May 16, 2008

Hey

I just wanted to say that I've been at 126 for 2 days now. Plus, it's TTOM, so maybe I'll have a drop in a few days. Funny how thrilled I am with 1-2 lbs lost per week. There was a time (before all this) where I wouldn't have even been satisfied with 5 lbs in a week. It really does add up over time. Think about it...6 months of 2 lbs per week is 52 lbs....12 months, 104 lbs. I know this isn't news, but it just demonstrates the importance of consistency. Eat somewhat clean for a year instead of 100% clean for 1 week. Just speaking for myself here, but...when I do 100% clean, there is always a crash and burn after about a week. I think it just depends on your personality though.

I have friends that thrive with an all or nothing attitude. That just doesn't seem to work for me. One thing that I've been doing is really watching my diet during the week. It's easy for me to stick to the routine. On weekends, I relax a little...not going all out, but enjoying a burger, potato salad, doritos, or whatever...still moderate portions though. I get back to it on Monday (breakfast bar, lean cuisine, snacks, regular dinner, lots of water). Then I start weighing myself again on Thursday. By this time, the water weight is pretty much gone, and I usually see a drop from the prior week...and it continues to drop until Saturday. Then I start it all over. The key is to not go super crazy over the weekend and gain 5 - 10 lbs. I still avoid Chinese and Mexican food if I can help it. While I love both of them, I just have a hard time getting back on track after indulging in them.

Another thing that's been working for me...when I feel like snacking out of boredom, I try to drink coffee or maybe even make myself a martini. While drinking alcohol might not seem to be the best solution, it's not too bad for me, because I almost always stop after 1 drink...way less calories than the chips and salsa or the cheese and crackers.

The bottom line is this is what has been working for me. It might not work for you. Over the past 2 years, I've changed up my strategy many times. It's helped keep me going through all this. Sometimes I'm more fitness focused. Right now, I'm almost purely diet focused, and I'm seeeing huge results. I haven't been at this weight since I was probably 19 or 20. Even then, I weighed more like 130 on average. I think I averaged between 125 in high school. Once I dropped to 118...for about a month or so when I was 20, which was my perfect weight in my opinion. I'd love to see it again. In fact, I just might do it.

Finally, last demf I weighed 137. Not only have I kept the weight off, but I've been able to take off another 10+ lbs. I fully expect to be 125 by next weekend...probably 123, which was my original ultimate goal for demf 2008.

Ok. I know this blog was ALL over the place, but I suddenly felt talkative. Have a great weekend.

7 comments:

Jason said...

wow kristen, you have done a great job. Not only have you lost so much weight, you've been able to keep it off and still steadily decrease your weight. Great, great job. I don't think you'll have any problem hitting your demf goal.

It is good also that you recongnize your personality type and you're not setting yourself up for failure. It's crazy how a little part of your life (weight loss) can make you realize so much more about your personality and yourself isn't it?

Rob Tucker said...

The bottom line is this is what has been working for me. It might not work for you. Over the past 2 years, I've changed up my strategy many times. It's helped keep me going through all this. Sometimes I'm more fitness focused. Right now, I'm almost purely diet focused, and I'm seeeing huge results.

There is *SO* much value in this statement right. I think this will help quite a few of us if we can sit back and figure this out. Good for you, Kristen :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, you are looking good and will probably be safe during the race war. They like big booties and if you are slimming down, you should be safe. Keep up the great work.

The D Man

Marcol said...

The 120's? Thats hot Kristen. Good job!

GeneTheK said...

I agree with Rob - your words are wise. I think we all need to think about what works and what doesn't.
It will be different for each of us.

inked said...

I just wanted to wish you a good weekend, I know you've been looking forward to this event for a long time and I hope it is an awesome time for you.

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog through another random blog and I had to say congrats! I would love to be 126!!! That is my goal! I am 143 as of today and I want to be 126 the day I get married in Jamaica on September 23rd.

So you are just eating "normal" foods like lean cuisines? Not doing any fancy carb manipulation or anything like that?

I am happy for you! I know you feel great right now :)