Friday, September 12, 2008

Right on Track

Well, today was probably my best run ever. I finished 3 miles in 29 minutes flat, and 3.1 miles (5k) in 29:45...and this included my 5 minute warmup. My method is this: warmup: 5.5 mph. Then 4 sets of 1 minute each of 6.0, 6.2, 6.4, 6.6, 6.8. Then a final set of 6.0, 6.2, 6.5, 7.0, 7.5.

Even after that, I wouldn't say that I was beat. I'm trying to stay moderate. I know I could push myself harder, but I don't want to hurt myself. I still have 2 months to go until the Turkey Trot, so I'll just keep steadily pushing forward.

I realized something today though. I don't think I go to the gym for weight control anymore. I honestly think my main focus is the sense of achievement and the desire to be fit/healthy/strong/etc... My thought is that it's probably a lot easier to push yourself to go when you don't tie your successes to how much weight you've lost or gained.

On another note, I was getting ready for work yesterday, and I thought that I was looking rather young for some reason. Most people would never guess that I'm nearly 34. In fact, I generally hear that I look around 25 or even younger. Everyone always seems shocked to hear that I have 4 kids. Anyways, I was thinking that I was looking younger, and then my 10 yr old son said...you know, you're almost looking like a teenager again. I wonder what it is. I think I've been getting more sleep. I've been working out again. I've been eating more fruits and veges, drinking more water, and taking my vitamins. I don't know what it is, but I'll take it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome to hear about your running progress.

You know, I haven't pushed hard and timed myself at even something as minuscule as a mile run since... well, since I literally don't remember when.

My default answer will be high school.

When my knee and ankle heal up, I'm going to do just that.