Ripx, thanks for checking up on me. I was actually going to blog today anyways :)
First the update: I'm doing well. I didn't want to say anything prematurely, but...I've been back to the gym for over 3 weeks now. It's amazing how quickly the body can get back into it. We joined a different gym, and we love it. It's way cheaper. Less frills, but it certainly has everything we need. In fact, it makes it much simpler to just go and work out.
School and work are also going well. I haven't missed a deadline yet, and I'm going to be caught up for my much needed vacation next week.
Now, a rant: We went to Cedar Point on Saturday, and I was in shock over the state of our youth. They aren't just fat. Their shapes are literally not natural. The girls did not have figures. Big guts and fatty backs w/narrow hips. The only answer I can come up with is that it must be due to processed food and lack of activity. When I was growing up, there were fat kids, but the fat kids were just bigger than us. Same shapes for the most part...just bigger. This is no longer the case. I don't know how else to describe what I'm talking about. They might even weigh the same as I do, but I'm proportionate. They so aren't. Anyways... one interesting thing was that many of the moms actually looked pretty great. I felt that the average 30 something looked much better than the average 17 yr old.
As disgusting as that scenario was, it has prompted me to refocus on my diet...and my family's diet. I went to the fruit market yesterday and bought a grocery cart full of fruits and vegetables. The kids are LOVING it. Good stuff.
Rant #2: Has anyone seen the commercial with the athletes promoting chicken for breakfast? McDonalds fried chicken sandwiches on a fattening biscuits. Appalling commercial. I can't get over it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Kristen, you are so right! Your kids have such an advantage over most of their peers. You are setting an example for them that will give them better, healthier lives. I'm so proud of you.
My personal ranting: I think sugar-filled sodas, for starters, should be treated just like alcoholic beverages. Children should not be allowed to purchase them. It all comes down to education, education, education.
It's good to see that you are still working out and going strong Kristen!
I agree with what you said about kids today. I think there are to many parents that are afraid to say no to their kids, or bribe their kids with sugary treats...it's sad.
Keep up the good work though!
Hey Kristen thanks for the update. Glad you are still maintaining and doing things you need to do. I love the idea of a no frills gym that has what you need. I am trying to build that at my house ;)
I 100% agree with your rant. It really is sad that kids are as out of shape as they are. That was one of my original goals and is still very close to my heart to lead by example. My son has taken notice and many days asks if he can workout with me and get sweaty. ;). I came from a family where pretty much the only vegetables we ate were green beans and corn. My parents were not into sports or exercise much. They would support it if I went looking for it but thats about it. My son has ate and likes more veggies and fruit then I had in the first 20 years of my life. I hope he never has to battle his weight like I have had to my entire life. I just pray that if I give him the tools he will use them. Some day I would like to help other kids too, not sure how to do that yet but we will see. Well I suppose I could go on and on for ever on this subject.
Keep hitting the gym and eating right. I miss reading your blogs also so try to write a little more often would ya? Take Care.
That's awesome that your kids are eating the fruits and veggies!
great job keeping up with it all, school, work, working out, life! that's very inspiring!
also fried chicken for breakfast? gross.
I just saw that commercial. What's funny is how they promote "homemade TASTING biscuits." HA! What's funnier is that McDonalds is the primary sponsor for so many athletic events. Seriously, what's wrong with that picture?
On to your fat kids rant, I so agree with you. I've been seeing a lot of fit parents and morbidly obese children...like 4-6 years old! Do their parents not see it? What's pathetic is that those kids aren't old enough to make their own food decisions (other than whining and screaming for sugary treats). Their parents are enforcing bad eating habits that are going to haunt those kids for the rest of their lives!
Anyway, that's great to see that you've been back in the gym for almost a month now!
We've got to get together soon!!
I just watched 'Super-size me' the other day and I have a completely different perspective than I did when I saw the first time. Fast food, bad food, and empty calories are everywhere and I think WE have a hard time making the right decisions. Think of how hard it must be for kids who don't even know they're addicted the the 'high' that these types of foods give.
It's good that you're helping your kids to make healthy eating choices. The availibilty of bad foods and pseudo-healthy foods is only going to grow.
Hurray for good looking moms!
... Whaaat? ;)
like those athetes ever let anything fried pass through their lips!
wtg on getting back into the gym!
Post a Comment