Thursday, January 3, 2008

Continued Resolve

I don't really see much sense in me making any resolutions this time of year. I've just really been trying to do that consistently over the past year and a half. I will, however, regain focus right now. My eating has been pretty bad during the holidays, even though I've been good with my workouts.

Bad eating makes me feel ick. I don't like it one bit, and it's so not worth it. Today was the beginning of my 2 week eating plan that Marcol blogged about a while back. I followed through with it today - even said no to a super delicious looking peanut butter pie...and turtles...and other assorted goodies that everyone else is trying to rid themselves of at work. So, Day 1: not much of a problem. I can do this for a while I think...it's mostly about preparation. I also think that I'm better at saying NO than I am at moderation. It was actually a pretty easy day for eating.

I haven't done much with the workout plan we were doing earlier this week...only because we were out of town longer than expected. Vince and I are starting it over tomorrow. No biggie. I'm dedicated to it...just didn't quite work out the first time around...AND just because we didn't do our scheduled workout doesn't mean that we didn't workout at all. On Tuesday night, we ended up doing a bodyweight workout that was actually pretty exhausting. I was proud of what I put together :) Certain family members made fun of us, but whatevah...I felt much better for doing it. I do know that I wouldn't have done anything had Vince not suggested it though. This is definitely a good thing.

I hit the gym for cardio tonight. My ankle hurt a little last Thursday after my run, so I used the elliptical tonight. OMG, that kicked my butt. I think that the "no carb" thing today zapped my energy. Maybe I shouldn't have pushed myself so hard? I do know that after 30 minutes of HIIT on the elliptical, I could barely go 6.0 mph for 3 minutes on the treadmill. I felt like I was going to die. I dropped down to 3.0 for a minute, then bumped it back up to 6.0 for 3 more minutes. Too much. Wow. I haven't had trouble with 6.0 hardly at all for quite a while. It must have something to do with my diet today? Anyways, I did a couple minutes at 3.0 then finished off the last tenth of the mile at 7.0.

So, even though there are no new resolutions per se, I look forward to pushing myself harder than ever this year. I am definitely going to participate in some 5k's and maybe even a 10k. I'd like to get below 17% bf (preferably 14%). Size 6 sounds good to me (still). I want a sculpted upper body. I want to lose that belly fat that is still lingering. I'd like firm thighs that look nice in a swimsuit. Hmmm...what else? Ok...if I achieve all of these things this year, then next year I'd like to get a boob job.

12 comments:

Candy Girl said...

a boob job? are you serious?

Carrie said...

LOL! Your goals are great, and I'm looking forward to seeing you reach them- we all know you can!

No carbs definitely = no energy for me. I have a hard time on a veggies and protein only diet, because I crash so bad and constantly feel hungry.

Keep going, you're doing great!

Anonymous said...

boobs *sigh*

Melissa said...

I want to agree that the no carbs zapped your energy. Thats how Ive felt before.

Boobs :)

Rebecca said...

a boob job huh? cool. i'm sure your husband won't mind. ;)

Rob Tucker said...

LOL at you having a ton of things to say in this blog yet everyone talks about the boob job.

... so, how big you talking about going?

/kidding

As for the carbs, you've got to have SOME - it's the energy you need. Just go for the complex carbs and avoid the simples (sugars, white bread, potatoes).

Ripx180 said...

I also have a hard time energy wise while eating a lower carb diet. I like robs advice on the complex carbs. If you are gonna use it (exercise) then its probably fine in moderation (the good stuff that is). Thats awesome that you guys did a body weight workout while you were away. Things like that will make the difference. Sounds like you have allot of good goals for 2008.

uhhh she said boobs... boobies...

billy said...

First off, If you can get all your carbs from vegetables and beans/legumes, thats optimal.

Second, just my opinion, don't get a boob job. ;)

Rebecca said...

Everybody's different, but I have spent lots of time getting nearly 100% of my carbs from veggies - no starch at all, and I have worked out and been fine. There are other ways to keep yourself energized for a workout and life without doing carbs, and I've found (assuming that weight loss/maintenance is your goal) eating that way to be the most effective way for me to keep my weight going down.

kyle said...

All very attainable goals for someone with the drive and dedication that you show. I look forward to hearing about you achieving them. I know that I'm going to need to be a lot more like you with the way I behave in order reach my goals. Thanks for keeping me inspired!

Marcol said...

I like the no new resolution idea and just continuing to pluck away as you have been for the last year and a half.

"To thine ownself be true" is what comes to mind with your eating. You know yourself better than anyone and like you said you think you do better at saying no than moderation so work the NO factor and youll be that 6 before you know it! Cant wait to see it all happen for you Kristen :)

PS - isnt having a workout buddy just great? I like how Vince helped you both still get one in. Thats what its all about

Geoff said...

If you're trying to eat low-carb and you don't feel energized you should up your fat intake. I try not to eat a lot of starchy carbs but I do eat a lot of meat, veggies, and good fats (avocado, eggs, olive oil, nuts) and I usually don't have any energy problems. Obviously you still gotta stay within your calorie range, but fat can be your buddy :)