Sunday, November 18, 2007

Fitness

This post will more than likely come off as random ramblings today. I was sitting here reading up on training for a 5k, and then I started thinking about you guys. I know we talk about this a lot, but it is such a special group. I think many of us started out by wanting to watch what we eat and lose some weight. I know that's where I started. Fitness? ick. I'd rather be skinny. After a few short weeks of reading your blogs, I started to feel that itch to get out there and start doing something physical - still with the desire to just lose more weight though. Now, it's a completely different thing. I want to be strong and fit.

Anyways...this all got me thinking about all the people out there that try to lose weight through diet alone. I just feel that they are missing out on soooo much...physically and mentally. Sure, they can get thinner, but they will not see the same change in tone and body shape. They won't feel that sense of accomplishment of seeing progress in their strength and endurance.

I guess all this came about because I had a great run today at the gym. Once again, I feel like an athlete. It's kind of hitting me that I'm fit. FIT. I can hold my own at the gym. I'm taking their most advanced fitness course. I can really run. I can do real pushups. I can see my muscles. In fact, I can actually see my triceps through my clothes...depending on the material. How cool is that?

F.A.T. has everything to do with this though. Looking at some of the people that I personally introduced to F.A.T., I see the changes in their mindset, and I know that it's no coincidence that they are motivated to do more than just lose weight. They are setting fitness goals for themselves and doing what it takes to reach them. Then they inspire me to do more. I'm not going to name names, but there are a few of you here that have played a huge role in changing my life. You've pushed yourselves beyond what I ever thought possible for normal everyday people. I've tried to emulate you the best that I know how, and I'm finding that I can do it too. It's such a strange realization to know that I can do this and even more. I know that I haven't even started to tap my true potential yet.

Here's to a great finish to 2007...let's keep pushing forward!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kristen, I feel the same way. I just started out to lose weight. Lost my first 25 pounds without getting off the couch! My goal was to lose weight and get healthy but then I realized that even skinny people can be unhealthy. You have to work it! And boy does it feel great to finish a 7.5 mile walk or a rigorous yoga class.

Rebecca said...

I think that's the cool thing about challenging yourself. Realizing that you can do more than you thought you could becomes motivation to push some more. Weight loss goals turn into fitness goals... 1 mile turns into a 5K which turns into a 10K which turns into a marathon... ok, maybe not, but you catch my drift. ;)

I think the key here is to stick with it. When a person quits at any point, they lose out on the opportunity for the next level. Nice post.

Rob Tucker said...

I always wanted to be a runner. I watched those guys just run down the street like it was no big deal. Never saw myself doing it though - no way in hell.

5k on Thanksgiving Day - do a google on "Thanksgiving Turkey Trot Detroit", I think the page is something like turkeytrot.org but I'm not sure. You can sign up online.

I know Melissa is going, I'm pretty sure Jim is - we can meet up down there before the race I'm thinking?

GeneTheK said...

I'm all about finishing out the year strong. Great mindset to have as the holidays approach too.

Good for you on feeling as good as you do. Kristen is kicking a** and taking names!

Geoff said...

I lost quite a bit of weight a couple years ago just running at the track every day, but I gained it all back when I stopped, since I didn't do any strength training along with the cardio. Strength training, a healthy diet, and cardio are all key to losing weight and keeping it off.

swankywanker said...

You know, you don't get the fanfare that Mr. Billy does, but you deserve to. (Maybe it's because you don't post hot pics of yourself in your undies. Hint Hint.) You are Ms. Fit and Trim. It's great
1. that you are fit
2. that you recognize it
3. that you're striving to improve.

Role model.