Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Nice comments received today and last night

I don't have much to report, so I'll just pass on some comments I've received. Last night, one of the trainers at the gym said: Hey, skinny. That's always nice - and I know she doesn't think I'm weak skinny. She was my first bootcamp instructor...when I couldn't even do one real pushup.

Today, my coworker that only works in our office about once or twice a month showed up and said that I was looking very nice. She asked if I'd lost weight, and I said not much...only 2 pounds...although I've lost BF. She said it looks like I've lost like 12 lbs.

My size 8 pants are now getting baggy on me. Time for new goal clothes.

I'm taking today and tomorrow off from the gym, so that my muscles will be rested for the big race on Thursday. Can anyone elaborate on race basics...like can I use my ipod, should I carry a bottle of water, what should I wear, etc...

I'm so clueless about this stuff...never even watched a race before. I don't want to show up and have people think I'm stupid...like...why is that girl not wearing gloves??? I'm more scared about that stuff than I am about running the 5k :)

8 comments:

Rebecca said...

You should check out the website for the turkey/stuffing trot/strut - it should give you some basics. In the race I ran, we weren't supposed to wear any headphones (but people did). There was definitely a lot of information that was helpful, because it was my first race. If they don't have the info, I'm sure Rob or someone who has run it before can give you the 411. Good luck!

Marcol said...

Im sure the comments must have made you feel nice Kristen. When you lift, how much weight do you lift since you mentioned not being "weak" skinny. Just wondering.

As for the race, Rebecca's suggestions are a great place to start. If you arent able to find something there, I'd search the web on things needed to run a 5k this time of year (i.e, in late fall/winter temps). You should check into how cold its going to be that day etc...

One thing for sure with running outdoors in the cold is to keep your extremities (head, neck, hands and feet) covered. The extremities are where your body releases the heat and with the cold if these arent covered youll have a hard time maintaining warmth. This is not my opinion but what comes from trainer's textbook.

Good clothing would be the type that catches sweat but stays dry. Most sporting good stores carry these but truthfully its not really a good idea to run in different clothes and shoes than what youve trained in.

Hope it goes well for you.

Marcol said...

Kristen - check out this link as it has some tips for running this time of year. Be sure to read it all it gets pretty specific. Hope it helps...

http://www.competitiverunner.com/winterruns.php

Jim McCoy said...

Kristen,

Glad to hear that people are noticing your hard work. As far as the run, I don't know either, I've never done one this time of year. I don't do headphones, and I've never seen anyone carry water during the summer months, if that helps.

Rob Tucker said...

Kristen, don't be sweating what you're wearing to this race. Since it's right before the parade, people come wearing turkey suits, Santa suits, crazy outfits, you name it. NO ONE is going to notice your gloves :)

I would say to wear your hat and gloves, and if you get too hot wearing them, take them off when you race. Be comfortable!

kyle said...

Isn't it so nice when people take notice of the hard work you've been putting in. I can't wait for those times!

As for the run, well, I don't know the first thing about the protocol for organized runs, but it seems like the rest here have you covered. Good luck!!

Oh and I'd love to come to the party, but the 2,000 mile commute might be a bit much :) I hope all of you Michigonians? Michiganites? Michies.....people from Michigan have a great time ;)

Kristen said...

Kyle, I believe it's Michiganders.

Brian said...

i wondered about the same things before my first 5k a few weeks ago. In the end I dont think it mattered what I wore as far as other peoples opinions.
I did end up wearing long tights and i was on the warm side. It was probably in the 50's that day. I also wore a vest and I like how that worked out because if it got too warm i just unzipped it. I had no hat or gloves.

I'm running another 5k tomorrow and its supposed to be in the 50's again, so I'll probably do the same thing minus the long tights. I'll just wear shorts.

Hope that helps.