Sunday, August 5, 2007

Good Article

I found this article to be pretty solid. It discusses the faulty thinking typically associated with weightloss. It's almost as if they were talking about the old me.

I'm not even going to pretend that my eating this weekend was good. The good news is that I did at least attempt to stick to some portion control. I could have made better choices though.

Other interesting news: I wore a swimsuit out in public for pretty much the first time in my adult life. Public meaning with my family (aunts, uncles, cousins, etc...). This is a big step for me for a couple of reasons. The obvious one is the weight issue. I think I've always had unrealistic view of how I should look like in a swimsuit. I've now decided that I've been too hard on myself (even in my thinner years). The less obvious one is the modesty issue. Most of you know that I've recently emerged from a very restricted lifestyle. It was a big deal for me to even wear jeans or capris, so wearing a swimsuit is a pretty big deal.

I am not going to say that I looked hot by any means, but I do think that I looked acceptable. I am somewhat fine with this...for now. I felt so comfortable. Ahhh. In the past, I'd wear a long skirt and a t-shirt over a swimsuit. It felt so good to be normal and to not feel disgusting while being normal.

I had my sister take a picture of me for inspiration or motivation, but I think it's going to be more motivational. It's funny how I can't just look at it and say, "Wow, look how far you've come." I only think, "Wow, look how far you have to go." This sucks of course, but I did mess with it in a photo editor to see what it would like like with a 10% decrease :) Much better and way more acceptable. So, I think I might have just come up with a real piece of motivation that I've been missing. Now, I'm not sure if my logic is flawed, but I was thinking that if I wanted to lose 10% of that picture, maybe I could lose 10% of my body weight (around 14 lbs). Maybe 10% decrease in body fat would work too. I think this would come out to just about 2%. Maybe the 14 lbs and 2% body fat will both happen together?

Either way, I need to get back to the gym. I think a week away from there was just what I needed though. I'm ready to get back now. I'm also ready to go back with a different focus. I will not be taking any classes, but I think I'm ready to brave "the other side" by myself. This would be the strength training section. Start small. I would also be doing some cardio still, but I'm looking for a more balanced workout. Maybe a quick cardio warmup, then some weights, and then finish with some HIIT. Just typing about it is motivating me.

btw...even though the swimsuit picture isn't awful, I don't think I'm quite ready to post it here.

7 comments:

Rebecca said...

Congrats on wearing a bathing suit in public! That's a BIG step, and to feel comfortable is even better.

If you want any suggestions regarding weight routines or whatever, let me know. I think having weights incorporated in your routine on a consistent basis will give you the body fat decrease that you are looking for. Have fun!

Kirsten said...

when i do go to the gym with my girlfriends, who are size 6 and workout nazis with arms that could kill, we (they make me) do 40-60 minutes of cardio to start, then follow up with the weight machines. either we switch doing arms and chest 1 day, legs the next, or the circuit... curious, does anyone finish with a cardio after weights?

Ripx180 said...

I think most people will tell you to do weights first then do your cardio. I guess that way you have more energy and get a better weight workout in. I think adding some weights to your routine will really help you obtain the body you are looking for. Don't worry about getting big and bulky from lifting heavier weights that is a misconception that many women have. It takes a perfect diet, some crazy dedication, and allot of time to get big and buffed.

billy said...

Ripx is 100% correct.

You couldn't get ripped if you tried. No offense, but it takes a lot of testosterone and heavy, heavy lifting to build noticeable muscle size. Lifting would make you stronger, and your muscles a little firmer and a touch bigger, but in a good, feminine way ;)

Not that you even really mentioned that, but I thought I'd throw it in. And yes, weights first, then cardio ( warmup is ok)

Marcol said...

Hey Kristen!

You better go with your bad self wearing a bathing suit. Thats big stuff right there :)

As for the 10% decrease that you mention - aiming to lose body fat rather than lbs would probably be better. When you lose the body fat your body compostion starts to change and things looks a lot more wonderful and probably the way you desire.

Rebecca, Rip and Billy are all correct in adding weights and the order in which you should do them.

Check out this blog http://skwigg.tripod.com/blog/index.blog?from=20070331 and scroll down to the entry "three pound question". There is a picture of a girl named Tonya on there who is 5'8" and weight 170lbs. Some might think she would be FAT but ummm not so much. She isnt because she focused less on lbs and more on losing actual FAT. Kristen, this is why I suggest focusing at this point on dropping your body fat percentage rather than more lbs.

My .02 take it or leave it :)

Rebecca said...

I agree... if you don't lift heavy enough to challenge your muscles, you won't get any real results.

Warm-up, Weights, Cardio is my order, and generally what I read to be the recommended order.

Kirsten said...

wow! i will feel weird switching up the order, but glad to know thats the better way. thanks everyone!!