Thursday, September 6, 2007

Random stuff today...

I really am getting upset at the number of obese children I'm seeing around these days. I'm sure I'm just noticing it more because of the kids being back at school. It's one thing for me as an adult to be obese, but to allow my children to get that way is simply not an option. My kids are not skinny by any means, but they are not fat at all. I just think that if my kids were getting fat, I'd be making some serious changes in this house. How can these parents allow this to happen to their kids. I know that some kids are naturally heavier set, but there are so many complete families that are obese. I just don't get it. I've heard people talk about this before, and I've heard all the excuses and the lies...like it's ok to be fat or it's just in our genes to be "heavy". I really don't know if anyone here has obese children, so I apologize if this offends anyone, but it just really saddens me to see so much of it. Some people might think it's unhealthy for kids to worry about their weight and everything, but it is our job as parents to teach them about proper nutrition. I want them to know that being overweight is unhealthy.

Next...I watched the Biggest Loser last night (from my DVR). It was fine, but I thought it was totally stupidly cheesy for them to make the audience say, Did you keep the weight off...with the hostess. Then, they compared their current weight with their starting weight rather than the weight from the end of the season. Of course, they were all thinner than when they started out. Overall, it really was a nothing episode geared toward getting people excited about the new season. Beck and I were talking about the show yesterday...about how it's great they lost the weight and everything, but how hard can it really be when you are sent away to work out for how many hours a day and have all the right food choices right in front of you. We are the real winners here, because we're doing this and incorporating all of these changes into our real lives as we go. This is real...right here...not to take away from their successes of course. I do think that the show played a part in me getting healthy though...as I sat on the couch and watched it, wishing I could be thin. ha! Every little bit of inspiration helps I guess.

Yesterday, I was sitting here at the computer thinking about how bored I was, so I decided to go for a walk. I ended up walking over 5 miles. God that felt great. I'm really sore today though. Funny how it only takes a couple weeks of inactivity to soften some of those muscles that seem to take so long to build. I can't wait to get back to running.

9 comments:

Marcol said...

I think the "fat kid" thing is pretty sad too. I used to have this discussion often. The sad thing is I fault the parents mainly because the places that I'd see this kids were at pizza places WITH their parents.

AHHH, I missed the biggest loser? That used to be one of my weekly shows, it was inspirational to watch but like you and Beck were saying they had a perfect set up for success. We're living it in a not so perfect world and by golly we're getting it done!

Nice walk - 5 miles - dont hurt yourself I wouldnt want you sidelined longer than necessary.

Anonymous said...

Last night's Biggest Loser was the cheesiest. The real inspiration was the woman from NY who wasn't chosen to stay at the house but still lost all that weight and is still going. She was very inspiring.

Shaq's Big Challenge really put the spotlight on childhood obesity. Healthy eating has to start at home but I think schools should have nutritional classes as well as P.E. Parents could use the classes as well.

Kirsten said...

i could write a month's worth of blogs with the topic being obese children! My neighbor's 11 y/o is obese and while i have 1 plate of food, she has 3. and i am constantly catching her sneak back into the kitchen to eat anything. why do parents ignore this? There is such a simple solution, don't serve family style. Everyone gets 1 plate of food and the salad can go on the table for seconds, not mashed potatoes. See i just wrote a novel, i am all riled up!

Ripx180 said...

I was really bumbed out about the biggest looser show (we are fans in this house too). If you watch in the intro of each person you can see what they were at the end of the season they were on. The only person there that actually lost more weight after the show was Andrea Baptiste. Everyone else gained like 30 lbs on average. Several of them still looked good and healthy but many where slipping back to their old selves. I think the guy who won it all last time disappointed me the most "Eric". Pretty freaking sad. Definetly a few shinning starts.

The kids and obesity subject is a sore one in my book too. It makes me so sad and I am going to do everything in my power to help my children grow up healthy. I don't want them to have to struggle with health, low self esteem, inactivity, and the host of other things that come with being fat. Its really becoming quite the epidemic. HFCS (High Fructose Corn syrup) is the devil and in almost everything. Ok maybe that last statement is a little off the rocker. Anyway kids and obesity is a tuff subject.

Kristen said...

I'm certainly not going to claim that my children always have a great diet, but there are some things that I do to ensure that this won't happen to them. Kirsten hit the nail on the head really. No family style dinners. I could probably count on both hands how many times I've served dinner in this fashion...I serve it as buffet at best, but I usually just make a plate for everyone and set it at the table. That's dinner. I will allow them seconds on some things, but rarely thirds...unless it's veges. In fact, I usually only make enough for everyone to get 1 moderate portion, except my husband who can have two if he'd like. If they are still hungry after dinner, they can have some celery and PB or something. I rarely keep junk food in the house. We had bday cake and ice cream on Sunday, and guess what...nobody's touched the leftovers since then. I had to throw the last cake away too.

I never buy pop...diet or otherwise. I buy juice only for special occassions. It's basically milk and water here. Apples are abundant and easily accessible. They are a quick easy snack that the kids can always help themselves to.

Ripx, I thought everyone on The Biggest Loser looked like they'd gained too. I just wasn't sure if it was due to more muscle mass or my big TV. Eric did look kinda flabby though. Dre looked awesome of course. I thought Wylie looked great too.

Rob Tucker said...

Hard to come up with something that you guys haven't already said about the subjects :)

I missed Biggest Loser last season, but watched the first couple seasons. This past cheesy-ass episode was horrible, but I'm looking forward to watching the actual season this coming week - got it DVR'ed and ready to go.

And Sharon's right - Shaq's Big Challenge was eye-opening in a lot of ways - that's the show that needs to come back in a hurry.

billy said...

Yeah I feel like the biggest loser is an unrealistic show that sets unrealistic expectations. When people try to do it on their own, they get discouraged by how slow their progress is in comparison and I'll bet a lot give up. But hey, I'm sure it inspires a few people so its not all bad I guess.

My brother and I were a little chunky and always on "diets" as kids. I think this was the wrong approach. I think if our parents had led by example and not put things in terms of "diets" but just started eating healthier and encouraging exercise, it would have been a better way to deal with it.

Kristen said...

Yeah, Billy. I'm not really promoting putting kids on diets per se, but like you said...healthier eating and exercise. My kids have never gotten used to eating too much, so I'm guessing this is a lifestyle to them right now.

I can't believe I never mentioned exercise in my blog. Kids today definitely don't get outside enough. I'm sure it's a combination of things such as TV, video games, but the reason in my house is that we're so worried about predators and other dangers that it's difficult to let kids be kids like we were. It's just not the same. I have gotten a lot better in this area in the past couple of years though. Not only do they get outside a lot, but they also go to the child center at the gym while I'm working out. It's a very nice child center that encourages a lot of activity.

Marcol said...

I read an article on this in U.S. News & World Report current issue called "Kids & Weight" about obesity in children today. Its a good read and I think EVERY parent should check it out. Very informative and teaches how to keep kids healthy without making them have eating disorders in the process. Its an unfortunate epidemic in our society that we can get under control if we educate ourselves.