Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Silly Girl

Ok. Confession time. I know that there are a lot of haters of The Biggest Loser here, but I must admit that I cried more than once during last night's episode. I'm not sure why last night was different, but I was inspired and moved when the trainers were pushing the contestants harder than ever. Yeah, tears were running down my face when Jillian (sp?) made that girl go 12 mph on the treadmill for 5 seconds. The girl told Jillian that she was crazy, but guess what...she went 12 mph. Now I know that she didn't go a full minute or anything, but this girl did not believe that it was physically possible to go 12 mph period. How many of us have been in that place? How many of us are now doing things now that we never thought possible? I'm thinking that most of us hold back and never realize our full potential, because we simply don't believe. I say let's crank up those treadmills during HIIT to test ourselves. Put it on an ungodly speed...just to see.

The other tearful moment was when they were passing out their goal t-shirts. It was cheesy, but listening to the girl that just wanted to shop in normal stores again reminded me of myself a year ago. Then there was the guy whose shirt said he wanted to be half the man so that he could be twice the man (do the family stuff that he can't really do right now). I know I didn't want to do anything when I was fat. Now I look back on my vacation from this summer and remember all the stuff we did - that I enjoyed and wanted to do. I am a completely different person now than I was last year. Some of us have already reached most of our goals, so it may be time to set some new ones that don't have numbers attached to them. I haven't thought of one for me yet.

I do think that those of us here have more to be proud of since we did it all on our own, but I'm certainly wishing all TBL's people success too. Most of them seem to keep the weight off, so it must not be all that bad.

In other news...

It's official...Austin has strep throat. Ick.

I'm feeling much better. I packed my lunch and ate it today. I came home and ate chicken breast, rice, and soup. I'm not going to make it to boot camp tonight, since Austin is quarantined for another day. I will do a workout here though. I will pack my lunch again for tomorrow.

p.s. there's a small possibility that my emotional moments could be PMS-related? :)

11 comments:

swankywanker said...

I hate the biggest loser for two reasons.

one is that it makes the kick ass results i've been getting lately seem tiny and insignificant, which sucks, and might lead to similar disappointment for other folks who are trying to lose weight in the real world.

two is that it has the same effect on me as it does on you, they difinitely know how to tug at the heartstrings of fat america. that's lowercase fat as in superchubby america.

glad to hear you're feeling better. i always hope for strep when i get sick, because i know the antibiotics will knock it right out. not like a cold which can linger endlessly. hope the whole household stays healthy.

Kristen said...

Hey! My blog was supposed to be inspirational :)

Your results are kick-ass! That's why you have us (to tell you that). You know I'm your biggest fan.

Btw...That's why I think that it's pms-related...because I usually hate the heartstring pulling moments.

Jim McCoy said...

I don't the TBL because it's an elimination show. That kinda defeats the purpose if you ask me.

Kristen said...

Good point, Jim. It would be much better if they kept everyone there and then whoever lost the highest percentage would automatically be the winner. I don't watch to see who's going to be eliminated. I watch to see transformation.

Ripx180 said...

I like the BL Kristen. We watch it every week. It is inspirational for me and I take their results with a grain of salt cause they are obviously not in the real world. Nobody has the time to work out that much at least not in normal middle class America. That show is more about the destination for me not the journey. Like you said the transformation is incredible. Just shows with the correct diet and exercise you can make a huge difference. It may take me allot longer but I can still do it. My wife cried a couple times last night too... I am sure she would blame that on pregnancy hormones. ;)

Rob Tucker said...

I watch the show (actually about to go watch it now on DVR) and love it for the fact that I know it motivates others to do something, but I agree with Jim, I hate the elimination factor.

That's why I was such an insanely huge fan of Shaq's Big Challenge.

Melt Down Diva said...

Hey Kristen!

I used to watch that show, but sometimes it would be sad so I stopped watching it. I guess a part of me put myself in there shoes because I know what it feels like struggling with your weight. I pack my lunch everyday...usually with a healthy choice or smart ones meal and then I eat a garden salad w/fat free dressing with it. They are very filling and yummy; I like food and it has to be yummy for me to eat it :) I am glad that you and Austin are feeling better. Keep pushing toward the goal .... you've done such a great job so far - you really encourage me. Thanks!

Jay said...

I can see how it can be inspirational, but it comes off as cheesy. I also don't like listening to people whine when they have all the resources at their disposal to get to their goal.

billy said...

"I'm thinking that most of us hold back and never realize our full potential, because we simply don't believe"

Truer words have never been spoken. I think that right there is the real reason many people never realize the body they dream of.

Anonymous said...

I hate TBL, yet I'm glued to my TV every Tuesday night watching it. Go figure.

The results are always amazing and I LOVE LOVE LOVE how the trainers push those guys further than they think they can go (like you said).

Melissa said...

This is exactly what I was talking about in my blog. Just simply walking is in a way taking the easy route. Sure its exercise, and it keeps me active. But I know theres a bigger picture for me. I can work harder, and reaching higher levels just is more satisfying.

I'm thinking that most of us hold back and never realize our full potential, because we simply don't believe.

This is me. And thats why I want to step it up. Okay sorry this is your blog. :p