Thursday, June 14, 2007

Finding My Groove

I was pretty good again today. As I said in a comment on Kevin's blog...last night I decided to get back to the basics. No more crash dieting techniques. Less calorie intake and more calorie expenditure. 1 solid pound a week is better than 5 lbs in 1 week that comes right back the next. Billy talked about starchy carbs this week. I have let those get out of control. I stayed away from them for the most part for the past year, but in the past month, I've allowed them to creep back into my lifestyle. I've turned to them repeatedly for the past couple of weeks. No more. I'm done with that. I did allow myself a pita at lunch today, but it was with a salad. I didn't feel too guilty about that.

I went to the gym today after work, and I tried a new course on the elliptical. I'm pretty sure I've done this one before, but I never noticed the part where it asked me to pedal backwards. Today I noticed it and decided to go for it. Wow! What a difference in everything. It took me a good 4 or 5 minutes to get used to it. I couldn't go as fast, but my HR stayed right up there. It completely utilized different muscles than when I was pedaling forward. When I returned to pedaling forward, my muscles were confused yet again. I think this was an excellent way to mix up the routine. I also got bored after about 30 minutes, so I decided to hit the treadmill. This is probably the first time that I've turned to the treadmill to finish out my workout. I started at 4.5 mph, and I wanted to be done after 10 minutes; however, after a half mile, I really just wanted to do 1 complete mile. I was limited on time, so I turned it up to 4.7, then 5.0, then 5.3, then 5.8, then for the last tenth of the mile, 6.0. I must say that I couldn't believe how effortless it all seemed. Ok, not effortless, but I didn't feel like I was about to die. I really think that next time I'll start at 5.0. I remember the first time I stepped on the treadmill at the gym last July. I felt like I was going to die when I was going 3.5 mph. I now have a realistic goal of running at 6.0 mph for one complete mile. I know that I can do this if I continue on this path.

A side note here: music plays a vital role in my workout. I know I've talked about this a lot, but I have several tracks that ensure a great workout. I wasn't using them today, so I was having trouble finding my groove. Then one of The Wizard's sets came on and he was mixing "Push It". Yes, by salt n pepa. I know that they weren't really talking about working out, but it did make me push my limits anyways. Hey, whatever works...

You may have seen this before, but I thought it was funny and reminiscent of many salads I've been guilty of eating in the past:

6 comments:

Kirsten said...

weird thing, i only go backward on the elliptical. i cant get used to the going forward...

Anonymous said...

I just did the elliptical last night and did some of it backwards. Yes it is harder and I do go slower, but my HR stays up there :)

Push it is on my mp3 because it does push me :)

And that salad almost made me sick just watching the video...

Rob Tucker said...

I laughed my ass off at that video - those Bud Light Real Men of Genius videos are just that - genius.

billy said...

hahahaha "conquistador of the calorie"- that's great.

It may not be your thing, but I like to listen to Gogol Bordello while I'm working out. It's classified as "Ukranian Gypsy Punk". It rocks.

Kristen said...

I think I may have heard of this Ukranian Gypsy Punk you speak of. I'll check it out.

Candy Girl said...

you should try gwen stafani's wind it up or lady sovereigns love me or hate me. gets me up that hill everytime!