Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Now I Feel Like a Runner

I got up this morning and had a sound breakfast (egg on a whole wheat english muffin & a latte), then I put on my running shoes and took to the open road. I had decided yesterday to walk/jog to my starting point for my timed mile, and that's what I did. I did take a brief detour at Flodin Park across the street, where evidently they have a 1/3 mile path - who knew??? :) Ok, that's just a little embarrassing that I didn't know about it. The park is right down the street from me, and I've never walked around it??? Ridiculous. The only problem is that it's really scary back there (tall brush, no people, and out of sight from the park). I did 1/3 mile and got the hell out of there, but I continued on to my mile starting point. Did that mile and back. Unfortunately, my time was more than Sunday's time (9:37), but I was practicing pacing myself. I will do better next time. Good news is that I went a total of 4.5 miles today - mostly running with maybe half a mile at a brisk walk (right in the middle). I mean I did not stop at all during my run times. I attribute this to my Fatboy Slim set.

Later today, I drove around and mapped out a route for myself for my next run. It's just over 5 miles. I really think that I'm liking the real running thing. There is no option to not finish, because you have to get home. Does anyone have any ideas on carrying water? I could have used some today and Sunday, but I don't want to be weighted down with it.

I had a lunch meeting today, and I got a chicken caesar salad. mmm... I got home a few minutes ago and had a nectarine. I plan on having a light dinner w/salad and a snack later. I like this working out in the morning thing. Now I have the rest of the day to do whatever it is that I do (read blogs?).

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two words: Fanny pack.

:)

When I run with water, I usually just get a smaller bottle and hold it throughout the run.

Man, you're schooling me, chick! 4.5 miles?? You're freakin' awesome.

Ripx180 said...

You could use a low volume camel back while you run. I have a 50oz one and have used it running, skiing, and dirt biking. Works great and doesn't weigh much. I have also seen belts that hold small containers of water. I like to have my hands free. Anyway awesome run for you today. Some days I wish I wasn't a desk jockey.

Kirsten said...

anything longer than 4 miles i carry a water bottle. it doesnt bother me much... i have thought about dropping it at my half way point but i just end up holding onto it.

Candy Girl said...

wow, your a freaking rock star!

Anonymous said...

Very impressive! I'm jealous.

Rebecca said...

I'm impressed with how you've gone from walking to running almost 5 miles in like, what, a day? It took half my life for me to do that, and I still am not there! As for the water, I usually make sure I have a sport bottle, otherwise it's hard to drink, and it's not too cumbersome. I read that you should drink 8 - 12 ounces for every 15:00 of exercise. I know, that's a lot of water. Anyway, at a City Sports or whatever is near you you can get one of those running belts with the water bottles. Now that will make you look like a real runner!

Kristen said...

Rebecca, I really think the elliptical helped me with strength and endurance.

I've been going to the gym for the past 12 months (minus about 5 months in the middle). I went back at the beginning of April with renewed vigor, so I think it's really taken about 3 solid months to get me to this point.

I'm just hoping it's not sounding like I'm making this all up...paranoid me :)

I totally remember the day I was thrilled that I went a straight mile at 4.5 mph. Everyone here has inspired me so much, but watching Beck improve her speed has helped me to push myself that much harder - and I'm shocked with the results.

I think I'm going to hit Dunhams to see what they have in terms of portable water containers.