Thursday, July 19, 2007

Finishing my thought from yesterday

I swear I'm so ADD. My friend, Mickey, always teases me about this by saying, "Oooh...shiny thing!" Funny girl.

Anyways, I was talking about the definition of my thighs yesterday, and I really did have a point to it besides admiring myself. I was going to say that when I was feeling down in the dumps yesterday, I looked down at my thighs and totally remembered what I've accomplished so far and where I want to be. It really got me motivated to work hard. I also forgot to mention that I'm really starting to see and feel more definition the whole length of my thighs - all the way up to my hip adductors (if that's the right term). I don't ever remember a time in my life that I've noticed this, so I think it's the running. Exciting stuff.

Today, I feel like running. I haven't really had this urge for about a week. Hopefully it's a sign that I'm getting less sick. I woke up feeling fine today. We'll see what happens this afternoon. I have boot camp tonight, but I want to go up there early to run a few fast miles on the treadmill first.

I think my arms are toning up a little too. I don't know if it's the boot camp or the random toning exercises I've done here and there, but I swear there's a difference lately. I still have a very long way to go, but it's nice to see some change when I don't feel like it's been a focus of mine. I was reading online last night about pecs. I read that toning and building them up helps with perkiness. Have any of you girls noticed any improvements in this area? I know you guys girls do more strength training than I do. I know I've seen improvements, but I think it's more that my breasts are a little smaller now (in a good, less fatty way).

Ok, lots of work to do today. Lata...

***Edit***

I was just talking to Mickey, and she said the absolute coolest thing. Background: not long ago (maybe a week or two), we were discussing arms and toning. Her arms were looking kind of toned, and she said that just about every day for the past few months, she's been just doing maybe 5 minutes of arm exercises. This encouraged me to start doing little things too. Fast forward to today: I mentioned that I was feeling more toned in the arm area, and she jumped in right away and said that she noticed it too. We were both surprised, because it seems like we were just talking about it like a week ago. It was just way cool, because it usually takes a while for others to notice things - and this is someone that sees me almost every day. It's also nice to know that I'm not imagining changes that aren't really happening. Now I feel super pumped about my upper body workout tonight. I might cry, but I want the results fa real now.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is really interesting, and a good thing, that your focus is more on being fit in an athletic way instead of focusing on poundage. You're turning into a jock! I'm envious of your stamina in the boot camp. Good for you!

billy said...

It's great to have tangible things to look at about your body that motivate you. For me, some reason it's the veins in my arms.

I've NEVER been able to see veins in my arms, but now I can see some, and it makes me feel awesome every time I look at them, because it means that my body fat keeps getting lower and lower...

Maybe when you're on vacation in Philly you can come to my gym for a day!

Ripx180 said...

Well I am still working on finding something on my physic that makes me happy. I am sure envious of you for that. I think strength training is very important especially for women as you gals seem to loose muscle mass faster as you age. Lots of good health reasons for keeping strong. If you like the athletic look than muscles are your friend. They burn more calories which means they burn more fat just sitting on your behind, plus you can eat more which is never a bad thing :). I am sure you are getting a killer muscle workout in your boot camp classes etc. I cant speak on the "perkiness" but I can say that a well defined womens body looks more perky in general and is much more attractive then the model wafe look.... IMHO.

Kristen said...

Ripx, I have heard this over and over about women's curves being better than waifish, but I was disturbed and frustrated when I watched Devil Wears Prada...the part where she said that 4 is the new 6 and 2 is the new 4. Just when I thought I was closing in on 8 & then 6, I hear that it's not good enough. I mean, I know it was just a movie, but I wonder if I see it the same way. When 8 was completely unattainable, I thought I'd be totally thrilled to be a 12. Now I float between 8 & 10, and I know it's not even close to my ideal size. (I am still fairly happy with 8/10 though.)

Anonymous said...

I'm...uh...noticing some "perk." Sorry for the visual, folks. Anyway, I'm totally with you on your last comment. When I was a size 18, I would've killed to be a 12. Now that I'm 12, I want to be an 8 and the thought's slowly creeping into my mind that I could possibly be a 6. I was an 8 at my absolute smallest and my absolute smallest was still "chubby" by today's standards. I think I could dip down to 6 despite my wide-bodied curse (thanks, dad).