So for the challenge I really want to do an actual 1 mile outside run. Someone told me about a mile stretch here in Canton. I drove it and it really is a mile.
I think I messed up a little by not warming up like I should have, but I didn't want to start over, so I just went for it. I have never done this before, so I had no idea what to expect. I started out as fast as possible, but I quickly realized that I would die at that speed for an entire mile. I had to stop to walk for a little bit. This pattern continued for almost the whole mile. I still managed to finish my mile in 9:30. I'm impressed. I was just going to walk the mile back to my car, but after a short bit, I picked up the pace and jogged/ran at a more steady pace than the first mile. I didn't have to stop at all when I was doing this.
On my way home, I realized that I hadn't used my ipod. This might have helped to keep me focused. Oh well.
Here's my strategy. I will be going to the gym for HIIT on the treadmill during the week. Every Sunday I will run the same 2 mile stretch I did today. I will first walk/jog the first mile, and then I will time the return mile.
Lesson learned: pace myself better
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Pacing is a HUGE part of running - and the fact that you did it without music is nuts.
Definitely stretch.. you'll pay for it in the long run if you don't.
9:40's pretty damn solid for a first run. Nice work.
kudos on the sub 10min mile. Thats pretty darn good. I cant wait to be able to run a few miles in a row sub 10. sounds like you have a good cardio plan but don't forget some strength training. Lean body mass = FAT burning machine!
Good for you on your mile time. That's impressive on its own. When you add the heat into the mix it's even more so! I actually prefer running outside without music. In the gym I usually watch TV or something to distract myself, but outside I like to be alone with my thoughts and the scenery.
Being alone with my thoughts...scary!!!!
i am no expert here but i think its more important to stretch after than before.
I do stretch after, but I think failing to warm up properly hurt me. This one mile stretch is fairly close to my home, so next time I will jog to it instead of drive. Plus, that will force me to do 3 miles or more instead of 2.
Yeah, lately I've been stretching before running. I don't feel so tight and it's like my body is in run mode from the get-go (as opposed to having to fight through tightness the first five mins or so).
But anyway, um...wow! 9:30 mile?? Outside??? That's impressive!
Ok, I'm going to try stretching and warming up before my run tomorrow. Can't wait!
Post a Comment