Thursday, July 12, 2007

Random Ramblings

We have a lot of newer people out there right now, and I just had some thoughts.
  1. It's ok to screw up and have a bad day. I mean, ideally, you'd like to have all good days, but the bad days will happen. The most important thing is to look at the big picture of where you want to end up and get back on track the next day. In past weight loss attempts, I'd lose a few pounds, then have a bad day. That bad day would turn into a bad weekend, then week, then month. Ugh. Then six months later, I'd try it again. This past year, I changed that and started looking at each day as one page in my book. It helped me get through the bad times.
  2. Blog - even on your bad days. We are all here to support you. I've had my butt kicked many times over by these guys, but I'm grateful for it. It's helped me to not back track as much as I might have in the past.
  3. Start small if you need to. I know that if I would have tried to eat and exercise like I do now back in the beginning, I would have quit after 3 days (if that). I started out by just trying to add healthy things into my awful diet. After I got used to that, then I took out a couple bad things. I started by walking around a couple of blocks during my lunch. I didn't start any real exercise program for several months. I'm not saying to not exercise...just don't get frustrated and quit. If it's too much, then slow down until your mind and body adjust to the changes.
  4. Cut down on the empty carbs. This was probably the most difficult thing for me to do. I love my comfort foods, but I started at least trying to limit the carb consumption in every meal. Have the burger with the bun, but skip the fries. Eat the mashed potatoes, but skip the bread bowl. Pick one and that's it.
  5. Lower your expectations. In the past, I'd set unreasonable goals like losing 20 pounds in 2 months. Yes, this is very achievable in itself, but I would have had to turn into a different person to achieve this. Once I relaxed my expectations, it was easier for me to just concentrate on getting healthy. That being said...
  6. Set reasonable goals. All of my goals were tied to when I'd see my brother next. It might sound weird, but the lengths of time were perfect for me. I always had that deadline in the back of my head and I'd crank up the intensity just a little bit for the couple of weeks prior. I never failed a deadline. These goals were like 10 or 15 pound goals.
  7. Play the bad/better game. If I must cheat, I try to do something better than the worst thing. I still eat some fast food, and I'll have the fried chicken sandwich, but I will not also eat the fries. If I must have both, then I'll get a kids meal. Get the junior bacon cheese instead of the big bacon classic. Sure, it's not ideal, but I still get a taste of what I want, and it's not nearly as bad as I used to do - all the time.
  8. Replace food with fun. I have been doing a lot more with my friends in the past year...mostly things that don't involve eating. We go out dancing or just hang out and enjoy each others' company. I swear that going out at least every other week or so has helped me to stay focused. I don't want to go out on Saturday night feeling all bloated from a bad week of eating.

Ok. These might sound obvious, but they were what made the difference for me.

7 comments:

Ripx180 said...

All points are solid advise, thanks Kristen

Kirsten said...

holy crap that was well said.

Jay said...

Sounds like it has worked for you!

Anonymous said...

You hit the nails on the head!! :)

Rob Tucker said...

This needs to be published and sold. Great, great blog - 100% true. And this doesn't just help the 'new' members, it's a great reminder for us... old.. er, I mean.. 'experienced' members too.

Anonymous said...

Well said! Thanks.

Candy Girl said...

great, thanks!