Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Kashi Kraze

I didn't make it to the gym yesterday, but I was busy around the house and then we spent an hour or so putting together our new sleep number bed. It might not have been the most difficult workout of my life, but I was staying active nonetheless. I have a feeling if I'd have been this active for the past 5 years, then I wouldn't have put on the weight.

I did go to the gym tonight for my personal training, and I was pleasantly surprised when we were doing a lot of cardio. Guess what...I got to use the ArcTrainer. I've been looking at that machine for a long time, but haven't had the courage to get on. I liked it. It's always good to mix it up. I could see myself rotating between that and the elliptical and the treadmill someday :)

It's good to be back anyways. Oh, there is a new girl that started training with me/us. I told her I'd be in at least a couple extra times a week for cardio, and we exchanged numbers. I really need a regular workout partner. That would be way cool.

I ate well today too. I started out with a latte and some kashi cereal. I then had a kashi frozen dinner for lunch, and it was quite tasty. It wasn't on sale, but sometimes it's worth it to spend the extra $ on a good frozen dinner when you're feeling down in the dumps. It's still cheaper than going out to eat for lunch - and way less calories/fat (sometimes). Plus, the Kashi was very satisfying and filling with the whole grain ingredients that they use. I might be switching over permanently soon. I came home and ate some cottage cheese and headed to the gym. When I returned, I threw a couple corn tortillas on the stove to slightly crisp and dipped in hummous. It really was tasty.

I am trying to return to the point where I appreciate small indulgences. In my two-week slump, I became accustomed to eating junk regularly, and I lost the appreciation for such things as simple as a piece of bread. I know that moderation will return me to this, and I am much happier this way. Tonight I felt that again though. Two corn tortillas and a small amount of hummous was perfect. Yay. I think what I'm trying to say is that while I'm not a low-carb fanatic, I am much more satisfied and happier when I try to limit them. My carb intake had gotten a little out of control while I was slumping, and I know it's a lot easier to stay on plan when I'm not consuming empty calories through carbs.

Forgot to mention that my friends were going to Orchid Thai for lunch today, and I was about to abandon my Kashi meal. With demf looming and me trying hard to emerge from my slump, I backed out of lunch at the last minute. I felt proud of myself and in control...another great feeling. Food consumption is something that I have control over. After feeling in control for lunch, it was much easier to stay in control for dinner. Try it sometime if you haven't already. It turns into a little game for me sometimes. How much can I say no... It's hard to describe, but I have to put my mind in another place...

OMG...I feel like I'm typing like Paula Abdul is speaking tonight. Forgive me, but I am trying to watch AI while writing this.

One more bit of bad/good news. I stepped on the scale last night and almost passed out. 147!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!! This was awful news, but it was also great for me I think. I don't know if yesterday was a fluke or what, but I do know that I haven't seen above 145 in quite some time, so it shocked me into taking every bite seriously today - and I wasn't going to miss the gym for anything. Luckily, I was 142 this morning and was still there this evening.

I'll be back at the gym tomorrow...

6 comments:

Kirsten said...

i have been staring at that arc trainer for awhile now too. maybe i will give that a whirl one of these days.

Rob Tucker said...

This is just what I needed to hear from you. I love the fact that you're not going to allow your life to take control over you.

You got back, you reassessed what you were doing, and you put your money where your mouth is (literally, with the expensive frozen dinner).

And definitely get that girl to work out with you. Having someone in the gym with you makes you even that much more accountable - you're now accountable to someone other than yourself.

Glad to have you back, Kristen. I'm proud of you.

Marcol said...

Ahhh I remember when I couldnt stay on the Arc Trainer more than a minute at its lowest speeed (this was 2 years ago or so) now when I do use it I can go an hour plus if Im up for steady state cardio. Enjoy the new machine and if your trainer hasnt already suggested it be sure to switch machines every four weeks. This keeps your body guessing and therefore you can keep your results coming, training wise that is...diet must be on point too. Yay for you for not going out to that lunch! Also, a training partner is a blessing so I hope youre able to find one either in this woman you mentioned or someone else. Enjoy your day!

Lacy said...

Demf is almost here! You must be SO excited!

Glad to see you're out of your slump... They definitely set us back, but as long as we learn from them and get back on track, they can actually help us.

Have fun this weekend!

Kristen said...

Rob, thank you so much. You are a big part of the reason why I'm back on track!

Marcol, seriously...thank you for the advice. I kind of feel like I'm winging it, so keep it coming. Sounds like I'm done with the elliptical for the next month or two then. hello, arc trainer.

Lacy, you cannot even imagine how I'm feeling right now. 3 days away!!!!!!!! I just had a long conversation with the young guy in the office about it, and I am flushed now (because of the fest...not the young guy...)

Rebecca said...

Doesn't it feel good to be in control of your eating? I know for me, I feel better about myself when I am eating right, whatever that my be for the week. Good for you for breaking out of your slump, resisting the Thai lunch (i love Thai iced tea - yum) and trying a new machine. The accountability of someone waiting for you at the gym will definitely help your workouts. And you were much more coherent than Paula. I saw a SNL spoof of her from the season of Rueben & Clay, and the judge who played her said 'your voice is like a rainbow, and you let your light shine'. LOL. Ummm... thanks Paula! Anyway, keep cruisin!