Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Interval Training?

I tried to mix up my routine tonight because of Rebecca. I'm sure I'm not doing it exactly right, but I went on the treadmill tonight and went 2 minutes @ 4.5 mph, then 1 minute @ 5.5. This was very doable, so I only dropped to 5.0 for 2 minutes, and then up to 6.0 for 1 minute.

OMG, this Kelly Clarkson song is hurting my ears. Anyhoo...

6.0 was more like the short intense burst that I was looking for, but the second time around almost killed me, so I went back down to 4.5 to recover for a few.

My next "set" was more about incline. I pretty much stayed between 3.5 & 4.0 mph, but my incline went as follows: 5, 10, 6, 11, 7, 12, 8. (2 min, 1 min, 2, 1, etc...)

After that, I went back to the speed (or lack of speed) intervals. My last spurt was 6.0 for 1 minute, and I felt pushed, but fine still. I think I did about 4 6.0 1-minute spurts during the workout.

I'd like to play around with this to see if it helps me to be able to get higher than 6.0 (I'm sure it will). I realized something tonight. This is the best shape aerobically that I've ever been in (sad as it is). Even when I was about 21, I was only able to go about 4.3 for about 30 minutes (maybe limited to 30 only because of boredom). Still, 4.3 mph was pretty much pushing my limit. High school was certainly not any better. Now I laugh (lof) at 4.3. ha ha ha...foolish 4.3.

This morning I weighed in at 141 - better better better. Can I hear 140 by Saturday? I think so...

My calorie intake was good today. I had a piece of whole wheat toast with PB for breakfast - and a latte (a great way to get in milk). I had a South Beach entree for lunch - beef with broccoli...no carbs to mention. I had cottage cheese when I got home from work - before my workout. Then after my workout, I had another piece of whole wheat toast, PB, a banana, and a glass of milk. Oh yeah, I had another latte at work. According to my HR monitor, I burned 633 calories during my workout.

My pants feel better today. The young guy at work loved my hair. I need a shower...

Ok, I'm done rambling...except....So You Think You Can Dance is back on Thursday (YAY!)

6 comments:

Kirsten said...

what the hell is kashi?

billy said...

intervals are great. sounds like you were doing them right. you basically go all out for a minute then rest. then do as many as you can.

Kirsten said...

and i would agree with you about that kelly clarkson song but what do you think of that new avril song? i am digging that

Kristen said...

Well, let's just say that Avril is everything I've always wanted to be. She can do no wrong in my eyes.

Ok, yes, I love her new song.

Rebecca said...

If you're talking about 'Never Again', awe, I like that song! I missed her performance on AI cuz I was boycotting, but I'm gonna try to find it online. I like Avril's new one too, it's funny to me. Kristen, I'm flattered that you tried intervals because of me. Make sure you track your heart rate while you are exercising. The point is to push it up to 80% of your max, and then let it drop back down to around 60%, which is low intensity. You'll be able to tell that you're getting more fit cardio wise when it takes you less & less time to go back down. I am actually about to adjust my speeds because I don't think I'm letting my heart rate go back down far enough, and I think I push it up too high. Have fun!

Kristen said...

Rebecca, I'll try to track that better. I know that I've seen humongous improvements in this area since I first started last July. I think of it as a game now. How fast can I get my heart rate to drop...