Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Just a Quickie

I was very busy at work today, so it was easy to stay on track with my eating. SB breakfast bar, Lean Cuisine for lunch, some pretzels from someone else's desk, and coffee with just creamer (i always allow myself this - it really is my snack usually). Got home from work and went to the gym. Used the treadmill today, and I was happy with my endurance. 60 minutes total .. about 40 of those minutes going at 4.5 mph. 5 minutes total going 5.0 - 5.4ish (gotta start somewhere). 10 minutes at anywhere from 3.0 - 3.5 with an incline of anywhere from 8 - 15%. Heart rate monitor said that I burned over 600 calories. Yay. Then got the mocha madness shake from the Life Cafe. I don't even care how many calories. Today was an extra workout for the week and that was my dinner.

Over the weekend, I also enjoyed the outdoors. Pretty much ditto to Beck's blog on that subject. In the past, I've never wanted to spend time outdoors really, but I was excited to go walking through the Botannical Gardens in Ann Arbor (probably about 2 -3 miles total). I even took a quick jog through an open area. I'm pretty sure that part of the difference is being comfortable in my skin (and clothing). I also want to make that a part of my lifestyle. Ideally, we shouldn't have to go to a gym to get our exercise in, but it's pretty much the way it has to be in places like Michigan where we commute almost everywhere. Maybe someday I'll be successful in just being active in general, but for now, I need the gym.

I think I'm going to weigh in at less tomorrow (just a hunch). I'm starting to get a little frantic as my goal was to be solidly below 140 by the time my brother returned from college. That is one week from tomorrow. I know I can do it. I have to - I've met every goal up till this point. That being said...I will be ok if I don't make it. It's still good to have goals - although I agree with Rob's blog today too. Update @ 6:40 am 05/01/07: I weighed in at 140 this morning. Let's see if it'll stick. I kind of think it will. Cross your fingers for me.

Ok, I know I said this was a quickie blog, but evidently I don't know how to write short ones...maybe I should consider using a different font size...

3 comments:

Rob Tucker said...

The Botanical Gardens are amazing, that's a fun walk.

Also, when it's about goals, I know I'm taking time off of them this month, but I wouldn't have gotten to this point so far without being goal-driven, so as long as you can find the balance that I was losing.. the balance between sanity and obsessiveness, by all means, let those goals drive you.

billy said...

As long as you realize that it's ok not to hit your goals, as long as you did your best, that's what's important.

I wanted to ask you about something you blogged about a few days ago. You mentioned that you had better weight loss results when you didn't go to the gym? I ask because I know that in the past, when I was sick or something and couldn't work out for a week or so, I would lose more weight. I attributed it to losing muscle. What's your take?

Gary said...

congrats on the successful weigh in. Life is good.