Comment From Billy: I wanted to ask you about something you blogged about a few days ago. You mentioned that you had better weight loss results when you didn't go to the gym? I ask because I know that in the past, when I was sick or something and couldn't work out for a week or so, I would lose more weight. I attributed it to losing muscle. What's your take?
I have a lot of thoughts on this, and I really don't know if one of them is right or if it's a combination. My first thought is that yes, it's due to muscle loss. However, I don't think that there is any way that the 40 lbs I lost while not working out was all muscle loss. I do think that it would have been better for me to keep working out, but I don't think I would have lost as many pounds (although I might be at the same size - with better composition maybe).
My second line of thought is that I think I eat a lot more when I work out regularly. I don't know if this is because I justify more snacking because of all the working out or if I just need more calories. Either way, I think that the net amount of calories I consume (without burning) is less when I don't work out - but that's just me.
My trainer told me that weight loss is more about eating less - portion control. This will help with weight loss a ton more than exercise will. If you are working out all the time but continue to eat like you did before...chances are you're not going to lose much weight fast. You may gain muscle, but the fat is going to stick around. I know that when I was doing the Team Weight Loss class, I was still eating a lot of calories. I lost 13 pounds in 12 weeks, which was fine, but I really focused on eating better after I stopped going to the gym. This is when I started losing most of the weight to get me to where I am now. Yes, I could have done a lot better in that class had I stuck to the diet; however, that would have been too drastic for me - just because I know myself. (I'm Libra - it's all about the balance for me.) We all have to find what works best for us individually, and I think that I've finally figured myself out. I have other friends that can only be all or nothing and that totally works for them.
Sorry if I took a simple question and just went crazy with it. I tend to do that at times :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I was just reading on the women's health website, and someone posted a very good comment regarding strength training, cardio, and weight loss. Check it out...
http://forums.womenshealthmag.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/656101933/m/1561019822/r/9841082742#9841082742
I definitely agree with the statement that what you eat has the biggest impact on your weight loss, and that exercise has a smaller impact. I think that what happens is that when you diet without exercising, you lose both fat and muscle at an accelerated rate (like for example, 70% fat, 30% muscle.)
But when you diet and exercise, you may lose less weight overall, but it's more like 95% fat, 5% muscle (I'm just making up these numbers, BTW).
I think 2 things happen. When you exercise hard, you a) eat more because you need it, and b) lose less muscle, sometimes gaining a tiny bit. Do I guess that could explain the weight loss.
I definitely think that overall, the best way to go is to exercise. That way you aren't slowing down your metabolism by losing muscle mass and chronically undereating.
Glad you're back at the gym!
Me too (glad I'm back at the gym). My goals have now changed from just being thinner to being toned as well. I also have aspirations to be some kind of athlete - maybe a runner. Pipe dreams maybe. My husband kind of laughs at me when I talk about it, because it's never been my thing. The thing is that I really am a different person now than I've ever been. I'll show him :)
Post a Comment