Tuesday, April 3, 2007

From January 21, 2007

So...I've I guess it's been about 8 months now that I've been trying to change to change my way of life as it relates to eating. From about May until July, I tried to control the binge eating and the constant need to snack. The hardest time is usually when I'm with my family, so I have to be extremely focused to come out of those situations ok.

Here is a small timeline of my weightloss for those who care:

Last May (Memorial Day weekend), Vince and I went to demf (Detroit Electronic Music Fest). I had been fairly good for the prior month or so. It was a very hot weekend, and most girls were wearing shorts and tank tops. I was wearing jeans and I ventured out with short sleeves. I didn't feel super awful, because I'd been better and my stomach didn't feel bloated. I did decide that weekend that I wanted to lose at least 20 pounds before the next demf though.

In July, I went camping with my family. I know that I had decided before that week that I was not going to indulge in binge eating and snacking. This is incredibly hard for me especially when I'm with my family. I came out of that week just fine actually. On the way home, Vince said that it was ok if I wanted to go join Lifetime Fitness. I decided to go through with it, since I'd been pretty good for about 2 - 3 months by then. I would say that I'd probably lost about 10 pounds at this point. Not enough to really show, but I was feeling better. I started going by myself, and I was just going on the treadmill for a few weeks. I didn't really lose too much weight, but I was certainly feeling good about myself.

In August, I joined a 12 week class at the gym. I was a little afraid, because it was quite a bit of money, but I knew that it would keep me going. The goal they set for me was to lose 10 pounds. I ended up losing 13 pounds total.

The class ended in November, but after it was done, I did not revert back to my old ways of eating. I kind of coasted for a while, and I still felt much better. I started going on weight loss spurts at that time. I would try to lose 5 pounds in a week or so and then I would relax a bit - but not gain it back.

In December, I asked my doctor to give me a prescription for weight loss, and he thought that was fine, because I have low blood pressure. Throughout the holidays, I just stayed focused on my goal. I did not abstain completely, but I did try to only indulge in moderation. The biggest thing that I learned was that it is OK to indulge sometimes, and I do not have to beat myself up for it. In the past, I would basically throw in the towel if I'd had a bad day or weekend. The adipex has helped me to say no to things that I don't need. I couldn't believe that I'd lost a total of 35 - 40 pounds by New Years. I am still incredibly focused and I find that I feel thinner almost every day. My doctor will only allow me to take the adipex for another month or so, but I think that I will be ok after that. I lost most of the weight without the pills anyways.

I lost another 5 pounds this week. Every few weeks, I go through my closet to see how much further I need to go to fit into my old clothes. I did this on Thursday and was completely shocked when I could actually fit into almost everything. I went shopping this weekend and pretty much bought all size 12's. That is about the best feeling I've had in a long time. Up till now, I haven't really bought any new work clothes. People will really start to notice now.

I am not ready to stop or be satisfied with this, but I feel totally comfortable with where I'm at for now. I can't believe that I've lost 45 pounds in the past year. I never thought that I could actually accomplish this.

I am so grateful to the good influences in my life:

Jill, who was my initial inspiration, has gone on to lose an incredible amount of weight by just making small changes. She taught me that it is not a short term process, but a lifestyle change - even though it is incredibly cliche, it really works.

Jenn, who has also only improved herself and been on a continual weight loss path since I've met her. She has shown me that the weight will come off eventually.

Helga, who has taught me by example about proper portion sizes and making good choices. Thanks to Helga, I can now order the small lunch plate and be happy. I have also learned to say no to the bread - most of the time. Helga has also taught me the value of an active lifestyle. walk walk walk. She is in her 60s and looks fabulous.

Aunt Cathy, who has always tried to eat healthy and exercise since I've known her. She also looks fabulous in her 50s.

My brother Alex and my sister Mary, for being my biggest cheerleaders. Just when I thought that I was too old to be cool, they made me feel cute and fun. This mentality has allowed me to have hope and to strive to meet my goals. It's helped that Alex has been away at college. My weight loss goals are very tied to his homecomings. I couldn't believe that I met my Christmas goal. Just knowing that he was going to be expecting changes, I really put forth my best effort.

I would also love to give a shout out to blue jeans. They have helped me to feel good and given me the desire to lose more weight so that I look even better in them.

My next goals are:

After my doctor takes me off of the adipex, I would like to go back to the gym and join another 12 week class. I could really use the toning and it will help me stay focused after I don't have the help of the pills anymore.

I would like to lose another 5 pounds by Valentine's Day - I should be able to do this easily.

I would still love to lose 20 pounds by demf.

No comments: